Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Little Lesson From a Bird






A couple Sundays ago as we were driving to church I began to worry. In my mind were many doubts...How are we going to pay our bills? The baby needs diapers, how will we pay for them? Our savings are going down more and more every month, goodbye Mexico trip. The fridge is empty, how will we buy food? And believe me, theses were just a couple of the doubts going through my brain. I began to feel more and more depressed.



Then as we turned onto the street where our church is, my husband swerved the car and hit the brakes. My doubts instantly left my mind. There was a tiny little bird that had fallen from its nest and landed in the road right in front of us. Me being the animal lover I am, made my husband get out of the car and pick it up. He drove us the rest of the way to church with the little bird in hand. The poor little guy was shaking so hard and couple hardly lift his head.



We put the bird down in the shade of some trees and began to feed it little drops of water by hand. Bit by bit our little friend came back to life again. In those few seconds he trusted us more and more to take care of him. He hopped from hand to hand chirping and singing, as the water slowly started to replentish his strength. Then, with a flutter of his wings and a little "thank you" chirp, he was off.



It wasn't until after the service as we were driving home that I realized the little lesson God had sent us from this tiny creature. Sometimes we as humans find ourselves stuck in the middle of the road without any strength to go on. We are sure the end is near and right as the car of life is about to run us over God stops it with his loving hand saying, "No, this is my son/daughter who I love. They are so important to me." And he carefully picks us up and brings us to safety, all the while never letting us go from his loving hands. He gives us water, speaks loving words of encouragement, and never leaves our side as we regain strength. And when we are finally ready to spread our wings and fly again, he never takes his eyes off of us and really, we never leave his arms of love.


Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. - Matthew 10:29-31

No comments:

Post a Comment